29 novembre 2006

Bad Sex

While reading my favorite newspaper, The Guardian (UK), online, I came across an article on the Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction award. It is, inevitably, titled "Stiff competition on Bad Sex shortlist".

The purpose of the award is
"to draw attention to the crude, tasteless, often perfunctory use of redundant passages of sexual description in the modern novel, and to discourage it."

What a divine idea. And yet another reason why I simply adore the British.

Tonight the winner was revealed as Iain Hollinghead for a passage referencing "bulging trousers" in his novel Twenty Something. Thrilled to be the youngest ever recipient, he quipped
"I hope to win it every year."

So, a question for you all. What would you nominate? Examples from romance novels -- or of your own writing! -- are particularly welcome.

And please read the article -- it's fabulously cringeworthy.

Libellés :

1 Comments:

At 20:43, Blogger Cynthia Falcon said...

Woo hoo, if I do my "Tallywhaker Nights: The ballad of Rikki Yoni" I'd be on that list :)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home